Talking to someone new on a messenger app? Reuniting with someone online? Instead of talking about the weather, here are some conversation starters that you can use to level up your messaging game.
We’ve also categorized the conversation starters into three, so you can get topics that align with your relationship to the recipient.
40 Funny, Casual and Deep Conversation Starters | Messenger App Tips
By using these conversation starters, expect to get a great connection with your new friend– not just on the messenger app but in real life too!
Funny Conversation Starters
Use these topics to someone you know in a casual sense. Refrain joking around with professional colleagues unless the friendship is established in real life or in the messenger app.
- What’s the best Wi-Fi name you’ve seen?
- If animals could talk, which would be the rudest?
- How do you feel about putting pineapple on pizza?
- What is something that everyone looks stupid doing on social media?
- What’s the best inside joke you’ve been a part of?
- If you were arrested with no explanation, what would your friends and family assume you had done?
- What did you think was cool when you were young but isn’t cool now?
- First, think of a product. Now, what would be the absolute worst brand name for one of those products?
- If you had to choose three different foods to eat for the rest of your life, what would they be?
- What are things that you should not say at your own wedding?
- If a movie were made about your life, who would play you?
- What is your apocalypse plan?
- If you could have dinner with anyone person in history, who would it be?
- What would the tagline for your life be?
Casual Conversation Starters
Use these questions when you’re trying to know more about someone.
- What is something you wish you could do everyday?
- What do you think are the best traits for a person to have?
- Do you have any pet peeves?
- What would be your ideal day?
- Who would you swap lives with for a day?
- What’s one movie you could watch over and over
- What’s the weirdest dream you’ve ever had?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- What bad habits do you wish you could stop?
- If you could have tea with a fictional character, who would that be?
- Are there any common misconceptions about your job?
Deep Conversation Starters
Want to get casual out of the way? Use these topics when you’ve become closer to the person you’re messaging.
- What would your ideal life look like?
- Is the meaning of life the same for animals and humans?
- What benefits does art provide society? Does art hurt society in any way?
- Does fate exist? If so, do we have free will?
- What is the biggest risk you’ve ever taken?
- Would you want to know you are going to die beforehand or die suddenly without warning?
- What do you contribute back to society?
- Why don’t we as a species take more advantage of the fact that we have almost infinite knowledge available to us?
- What is the biggest waste of human potential?
- What percentage of your life do you feel truly alive? When do you feel that way? How can you feel that way more often?